Tuesday, September 16, 2008

observation

Today I had a chance to go and watch a couple of orthopedic surgeries...I have been a nurse for 6 years and done mostly med/surg and I know now surgery is something that I do NOT want to do as a nurse....I watched the end of total knee replacement and then saw a total hip replacement. They actually completely pop the hip out of socket to remove the head of the femur and put a new one in...It was amazing what they can do and awesome to get a chance to see but the popping out of the socket thing made me a little nauseated and weak. My manager told me that I could go and see a couple back surgeries too but we will see, I get paid to do it, where else would you get paid to sit and watch surgeries...

2 comments:

Kates said...

I was never on for the surgery side of nursing either. Especially the orthopedics, they were always so rough. A nice med/sug floor or a clinic is the way to go. How long have you been a nurse?

Brenda Lee said...

Cool Erin! I don't know if I would be crazy about the hip popping thing either though...